Basically, guest posting is the practice of searching out blogs in your related niche and reaching out to the owners of those blogs with a request to offer a blog post written by you.
Recent statistics show that there are roughly 3.5 billion internet users and over 1 billion active websites. With over 57,000 Google searches and 7,200 Tweets every second, how can you get your blog or website to stand out from the masses?
There is no “easy” button here. It’s going to take a lot of hard work promoting, networking, and creating content for your own site as well as creating content for other sites through the efforts of guest posting.
What’s in it for you?
- Builds Relationships – Before reaching out to potential bloggers you’re going to want to follow them on social media ask and answer questions there and within the comments section on their blogs. It’s easier for a blogger to say yes to your request if they know you, even if it is only through online sources. It’s also easier for them to say yes if you are introduced to them through a common connection.
- Builds Exposure – After you get a yes and are allowed to post on their site, you will get the attention of their blog visitors. This is your opportunity to show that you are knowledgeable in the niche. If done right, their traffic will share your content on social media and some will even start to follow you for more relevant information.
- Builds Backlinks – Usually at the end of your guest post, you are allowed to insert a couple links to pointing back to your blog or your offer. These are links from an authority blog pointing to your blog which (behind the scenes) tells the search engines that your blog is worth following. Your links allow their blog visitors to find you as well as any offer you should be enticing them with. I like to add one link pointing to a related post on my site, and a call to action on the second link to my lead generating opt-in page.
- Garners Tons of Quality and Targeted Traffic – Through the links you leave in your author bio on your guest post, people will click through to your site. Not just any people, people that are genuinely interested in your topic, style of writing, or your offer.
- Improves Your Writing – I would aim at acquiring 2 – 4 guest posts each month. This will give you ample opportunity to write blog posts for a variety of audiences. You’ll learn about the audiences as you read through their guest post guidelines and their own blog posts. Don’t forget to read the comments as well to come up with ideas for blog posts.
What’s in it for them?
- New Connection – Like you, they are gaining a new connection that will help share their content and potentially grow their audience when you share their content through your social media.
- Free Content – Everyone knows it takes a lot of work to prepare a blog post. It needs to be researched, optimized for search engines, and styled in a way that encourages sharing. A guest post takes some of the pressure off the host blogger.
- Free Promotion – One of the requirements most bloggers place for guest bloggers is to share a link to the guest post from the guest posters blog and to also share it on social media with links pointing to the host blog.
- Encourages Community – Another requirement most bloggers place is that the guest blogger follow up on each and every comment left on their guest post. This can be a significant advantage for both parties as the commenter’s get answers to their questions and the guest blogger gains another opportunity to prove authority within a niche.
Now it is time for you to start looking for blogs related to your niche and start collecting notes on contact information, guest blogging guidelines, and start following those blog owners on social media to build relationships.
Unless you are an experienced guest poster, I would try to build relationships before jumping in and requesting a guest post. After all, it takes time to research blogs for what they’ve already covered and the audience of those blogs.
I have a whole series of posts coming that are related to guest blogging and guest posting but if you’re really wanting to jump right in and even earn some cash for your efforts, you might what to take a look at a great ecourse called Seductive Guest Blogging brought to you by the Better Business Better Life Blog: